Thursday, February 16, 2017

New! Adjustable Bracelets

I make a lot of bracelets, but they're on brass channel cuffs or bangles, so the size is pretty much set. I've been wanting to learn to make bracelets with adjustable bands of some sort, and decided to try my hand at some basic sliding knots.  For the solid bracelet sections,  I used some polymer sheets I made with a pattern that reminds me a little of plaids.

I also made some smaller beads to incorporate into the knotted sections.  This next photo gives a better look at the knots, the additional beads, and the sliding section.

I experimented with different cording, using 1mm waxed cotton and 2mm plain cord. The sliding section works nicely, so the bracelet opens wide to slip on, and then closes as tightly as desired.


Here are two shots of another bracelet in the same design.  The beads on this maroon and yellow bracelet were larger than on the coral bracelet since I used 2mm cording here and 1mm on the coral piece.  I think the proportions work well.

Last, I decided to try a really simple closure using elastic thread.  I did add an extra flat bead in the area opposite the band section.  This provides a gentle area against the delicate part of the wrist, and also serves as the place where I could hide the thread ends.  Both designs are easy to use, even if you have to put the piece on yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment