Wednesday, April 13, 2016

A Lariat ~ My First!

I have always liked lariats.  I like the way they look.  I like the concept of something that just slips around the neck without having to fiddle with clasps.  I like how adjustable they are.  And I love the dangles that hang below the "slip through" portion. You have to have dangles.

With all this positive feeling about lariats, why have I never made a polymer lariat?  Answer:  I don't know.

Well, I've remedied that situation, and present here my very first polymer lariat.  The modified triangular "slip through" piece has a mica shift surface that I decorated with flowers, leaves and vines.  It is Spring, after all.  I used three colors of soutache trim for the cording that wraps around the slip through triangle. Each cord ends in a leaf pod or petal pod, echoing the colors from the triangle and in the cording.  As I mentioned, I love the dangling part of a lariat, and these little pods have a nice shape and feel.

This lariat was in the center of my display for my show at the Westerly Arts gallery. It sold during the opening night reception - guess I should make some more lariats!


3 comments:

  1. Dear Kristie
    Congratulations on a successful display. I'm not at all surprised this piece sold. It is lovely! I am working on lariats too, but using kumihimo and gemstones and they have a knot to fasten. This is a great idea for polymer - I may have to try it!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellie. If you decide to give polymer lariats a try, I'd love to see what you do. ~Kristie

      Delete
  2. Kristie,
    Your lariat is stunning. I have never thought about making one from clay like that. One of the nice things about lariats if that you do not have to fool with a clasp, and I like that!

    ReplyDelete