Thursday, May 29, 2014

Painting with Powders

I almost called this post "A Monet Moment," and perhaps the photo to the left gives you a hint why. The results of this very simple process remind me of works by the Impressionists.  Of course, the design you choose for the base has a lot of influence on the over-all result.

I'm sure other polymerists have used powders in the same way. This was just a new twist for me.  First, I needed to find texture sheets that had appropriate overall designs.  I also wanted them to be thin and flexible, so I could impress the design by passing the clay and texture sheet through the pasta machine together. This is, for me, the best way to get a deep impression while avoiding any unwanted movement that often comes when pressing textures freehand. Then I "painted" the sheet.  I used Pearl Ex powders and small pointed paint brushes to dab and paint on the various colors.  I did find I needed to go back over the piece a second time to intensify the colors and blends.



Here are two sets using the same texture sheet with different colors for the flowers.  As you can see, I really like this pattern.


To the left is a different design and color-way.  This design really lent itself to painting "between the lines."

The blue set below is a bit more abstract, almost "deco,"  in design.  I think I like the floral patterns better for this technique.

One last comment.  The powders set during the baking process, but even after baking, a little color could still come off on my hands.  I solved this by sealing each piece with Preserve Your Memories II.  I used a light coating so as not to change the sparkle of the powders.  The end result is a pretty, smear-proof finish that has preserved the original look.

3 comments:

  1. these are just stunning. I love the floral designs, but also love the art nouveau design at the bottom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kristie
    Another beautiful technique - I shall definitely be trying this one as well! I think I know what I shall be doing this weekend...
    They are lovely pieces and I particularly like the colour combinations in the first and last pieces featured. Thank you for the inspiration. Just a quick question, did you use the powders dry or did you mix them with water so that they were like paint?
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kristie
    Can I be cheeky and ask what the stamp is and where I could get it from? I have tried this technique with some stamps I have already got, but it wasn't very successful. (On the plus side, I now have some more scrap clay for bead bases!)
    Thank you.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete